Thanks to Sean the Jeep Guy for another great set of TMI questions.
1. Describe your favorite place to cozy-up with a good book.
Slouching in a comfortable chair in a place without too many distractions.
2. What do you read when you’re on the toilet?
It’s not an activity over which I usually dawdle and we do not keep reading materials in the loo. That said, I will admit with appropriate embarrassment that, if my phone is handy, I have found it a convenient time to scroll through my email.
3. Do you read when taking a bath?
I don’t take baths often (mostly a shower guy) but when I do there is always a book. I know it is a good book if I need to warm up the water so I can stay in longer.
4. If you can, do you read when at the gym?
I use the kindle app on my phone if I am on an elliptical machine or stationary bike. I have tried to use it on the treadmill but, being a bifocal wearer, I get a little motion sickness. Do audiobooks count as “reading”? I listen to them when the activities are not conducive to actual reading.
5. Do you still read newspapers and or magazines?
I try to read a couple of magazines. I read newspapers online or if someone happens to have left one some place I am sitting.
6. What are your favorite genres to read?
History and historical fiction, biographies, memoirs if the author is actually interesting and not just self indulgent. I enjoy stories with gay characters or themes as well when they are well written.
7. Do you read one book at a time or can you read several? Invariably there are a few going at the same time. I feel quite guilty when it takes me too long to get back to finish a book once I start it.
8. If you start a book, do you finish it no matter what?
Choosing not to finish a book is like walking out of a play or musical. I won’t say I’ve never done it but it needs to be pretty bad for me to give up on it, if for no reason other than I invested the money to buy it.
9. Did your parents read to you when you were growing up?
My father thought reading was for sissies. I never saw him read anything; not even a newspaper. I remember my mother reading to us from a four-volume set of Bible stories. I still have those books in the den.
10. Have you read to your kids/nephews/nieces?
No. I don’t have kids. My only niece was born a week before I went away to college so I was not around much in the years she was being read to.
11. How do you feel about reading books vs. using electronic devices? Have your feelings evolved from one or two years ago?
I don’t own a reader but use the Kindle app on my iPhone frequently. I like the convenience of the technology and having something with me to read at all times should the opportunity arise. I also like that the books are less expensive. But I still enjoy reading books as well.
When was the last time you looked at or read an adult magazine to satisfy yourself? When was the last time you even saw one?
I think I would have to go as far back as high school to find a time when I (uh hmm) interacted with a magazine in that way.
There is an LGBT bookstore in Toronto that sells, among other things, vintage magazines and erotic fiction. I usually thumb through the stacks when I visit T.O. in the summer. I don’t recall ever buying one however. Sorry Gladday. I always buy something; just not from that rack.